Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Great is Thy Faithfulness

I started a new watercolor today.  It is of a violin and bow laying on top of some sheet music.  I wasn't familiar with the music in the original reference photo, so I pulled out my trusty hymnal and instead wrote out the notes for "Great is Thy Faithfulness" - my favorite hymn.

After drawing it all out with pencil (including each note and line placement), I laid down several layers of wash to achieve the color gradations in the paper, background and shadows. Then I traced over the notes and lines using a micron pigma pen in black.  I chose to do the wash first, because after testing it on a piece of scrap paper, I discovered that the pens ran when painted over... not a good thing. Thank goodness I had the forethought to test the pens first.

Here it is so far...


No comments:

Post a Comment