Thursday, April 28, 2011

I've discovered scratchboard!

Like me, many of you used to do scratchboard art when you were in elementary school.  Whether we used purchased kits or made our own using crayons, we were always fascinated by scratching away the layer of black to reveal the drawing hidden beneath.

Scratchboard has come a long way, and is being once again accepted as fine art.  Thanks to my art teacher, Lorelle Bacon, I have discovered this fun and addicting medium.  In the last 8 days I have completed 5 different scratchboards with topics ranging from animals to lace to statuary.  If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.  Supplies can be purchased online at sites like Dick Blick and Jerry's Artarama.

Here are the pieces I have completed thus far... Specially formulated inks were used to add color to the zebra and cat.  All are 5 x 7.  In addition to the originals, they are available as prints or notecards.






No comments:

Post a Comment